Lexile Vocabulary Service
Our Lexile PowerV® vocabulary Application Programming Interface (API) and service uses a book or piece of text to develop a vocabulary list that contains challenging words a student should know when reading a book.
Education companies use this technology to build differentiated instructional capabilities into their reading programs and materials. It’s available as an API or as an add-on service when you submit a book or other text to be measured.
How Does it Work?
Lexile PowerV analyzes the entire text to generate a PowerV vocabulary list. It chooses words that are:
- Challenging. Harder words are identified as being above the Lexile® measure of the surrounding text.
- Relevant. Words are chosen that appear more frequently in this text compared to texts in general.
- Consequential. Words are identified as academic and important for success at school.
Two PowerV licensing options are available.
1. The Lexile PowerV technology is available as a convenient API. With the Lexile PowerV API:
- Vocabulary lists can be generated for a large quantity of texts.
- Vocabulary lists can be generated at specific Lexile ranges from a piece of text.
- Vocabulary lists from over 125,000 titles are accessible when used with the Lexile Titles Database™.
2. Lexile PowerV is also offered as an add-on service for Lexile text measurement.
- By using this add-on, a Lexile PowerV vocabulary list (up to 20 words) will be returned with your certified Lexile text measure.
- The add-on service fee is $10 per book.
Explore the research behind the PowerV technology:
- Research Brief: Empirical Lexile Measures for Words
- Research Brief: Lexile Word Frequency Profiles
- Research Brief: Calculation of Lexile Word Measures Using a Corpus-Based Model and Student Performance Data